Online Classes / Distance Learning
Campus Learning and Clinical Training
As a Bastyr University student, you'll have access to campus research laboratories, medicinal herb gardens, the culinary kitchen, the whole-food Dining Commons, libraries, and hydrotherapy and physical medicine rooms. You'll also learn alongside students and faculty from diverse fields, sharing knowledge and collaborating on projects.
We believe this campus environment deeply enriches education in natural health, a field that is intrinsically multidisciplinary.
We also believe on-site clinical training is crucial for programs that lead to medical licensure. Students in our naturopathic medicine, acupuncture, counseling, midwifery and ayurvedic sciences programs train in our teaching clinics under the supervision of faculty who are licensed health care practitioners.
Online Classes and Distance Learning
For these reasons we do not currently offer online-only degree programs. We offer several elective classes online, and our midwifery degree programs use a hybrid format of distance learning and limited campus classes.
As interest grows in online learning, we are exploring future options for new offerings.
We urge you to be wary of online health degree programs that do not offer clinical training or that are not accredited by one of the accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. (There are many “sham” accreditations designed to obscure this distinction. For more about accreditation, please see our accreditation page or contact our admissions office.)
Education in Action
Our students use their time on campus to prepare for rewarding, meaningful careers promoting health and well-being. Have a look at our collection of alumni stories, or see the ones below.
- Naturopathic Medicine: Ravyn Ramos Leads Clinic Toward Integrative Care
- Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine: Sharon Gray Teaches Patients to Listen to Their Bodies
- Nutrition: Valerie Segrest Helps Tribes Rediscover Traditional Foods
- Exercise Science: Michelle Leary Discovers Passion for Physical Therapy
- Herbal Sciences:Michelle and Jeremy Kyncl Craft Honey Wines
- Health Psychology: Amy Davis Talks Global Counseling and a Journey Back to Bastyr
- Midwifery: Therese Charvet Delivers 'Gift from the Universe" on Ferry Ride
- Holistic Landscape Design: Deena Lewis Learns to Observe and Restore Landscapes
“Meeting other like-minded individuals at Bastyr was huge for me,” says herbal sciences alumna Michelle Kyncl (BS, ’10), founder of Hierophant Meadery. “I really appreciated how I could just ask a nutrition student or an acupuncture or naturopathic medicine student anything, and they would be glad to talk. The community was wonderful.”
See our degree-finder tool to explore programs by area and level of study.