When Survivors Give Birth (13242)
14500 Juanita Dr. NE
Kenmore, WA 98028
|Full Registration||$ 339.00|
Simkin Course Types
Main Events Feed Filter
- Definition of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and other child abuse
- Common manifestations of any type of child abuse on the childbearing woman
- Unique manifestations of sexual abuse specifically on the childbearing woman
- Neurological and behavioral sequelae of child abuse
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on conscious memory
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on the adult woman
- Impact of CSA on pregnancy
- Impact of CSA on labor and birth
- Relationship between the woman and her caregiver
- Modification of common childbirth preparation techniques for CSA survivors
- Impact of CSA on postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and postpartum mood disorders
- Self-help techniques to reduce distressing symptoms
- Counseling strategies to prepare nulliparas with fear about the upcoming birth
- Counseling after a traumatic birth
- Counseling the pregnant woman with a previous traumatic birth
Approved for 12.58 Nursing Contact Hours, 12 Continuing Education Units from the International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) and 14.5 Bastyr University Continuing Education Contact Hours.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Required Texts: (click here for information on where to obtain texts.)
- When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on the Childbearing Woman by Penny Simkin and Phyllis Klaus
Workshop leader Penny Simkin PT is a renowned author and speaker. Penny has devoted much of her 40-year career to exploring the impact of early trauma on pregnant women in our maternity care system and developing strategies to avoid retraumatization during birth and facilitate the process of healing. The workshop provides information, insight, and practical advice for individualizing prenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care. Penny’s book When Survivors Give Birth, co-authored with Phyllis Klaus MFT, LMSW is the essential guide to the topic.
All courses are held at Bastyr University unless otherwise noted. Directions
Contact us for lodging information: 425-602-3075.
Contact Us :
Call us at (425) 602-3361