If you have already earned a degree in a non-science area of study or are missing several of the classes required for graduate studies in naturopathic medicine, this is the place to start. Students take only the courses they need and are not required to complete the full year-long program if they have completed some of the courses previously.
Courses must be completed in 1 year.
Cost varies depending on student.
I feel so comfortable and supported and have excelled academically at Bastyr. In the post-bacc program at Bastyr, you’re not just a student trying to complete your pre-med requirements, you are a new part of a community where every person you meet is willing to lend a helping hand.
Student to teacher ratio
hours of didactic and clinical instruction
residency sites located across 11 states and British Columbia
Train at Bastyr's teaching clinics in Seattle and help spread access to natural medicine at our community care sites. Your naturopathic primary care training emphasizes the highest standards in patient assessment, differential diagnosis, medical record documentation, referral practices and patient follow-up. The clinic’s natural, non-invasive approach evaluates the whole person to resolve health problems and support a healthy lifestyle that helps prevent illness.
Post-Graduate Residency Program
Apply what you have learned and launch your naturopathic career. Bastyr University has a well-established residency program at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health and a Bastyr University Clinic. In addition, the University has several affiliate residency training programs. The School of Naturopathic Medicine is a recognized sponsor of postdoctoral naturopathic medical education by the Council of Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME).
ND, MSOM, LAc
After completing her ND residency, Dr. Conner started her private practice in Indiana, when there were only a few NDs in the state. Subsequently, Dr. Conner became increasingly involved in…
In addition to her role at Bastyr University, Dr. Riccio is the founder and Primary Care Clinical Director at Fern Valley Natural Health. Her past experience includes: Midwives…
Dr. Philp has been practicing both naturopathic medicine and traditional Chinese medicine since 1997 and has been in private practice and teaching clinical medicine since then at three…
Dr. Reese Pellegrini earned their doctorate in naturopathic medicine from Bastyr University and then completed three years of residency at Bastyr's teaching clinic, Bastyr Center for…
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or its equivalent.
- Admission to the program requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, and an average 3.0 GPA in the prerequisites.
- No specific undergraduate major is advised or required.
- A candidate for the naturopathic medicine degree must be able to demonstrate appropriate observational and communication skills, motor function, intellectual-conceptual, integrative and quantitative abilities, and behavioral and social maturity. For more information, see the Required Abilities/Skills for Naturopathic Medicine Program Admission.
A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of 2.75 or above and:
General Chemistry with lab
(Please note: It is possible to take General Chemistry I & II with lab at Bastyr during the summer prior to starting the post-baccalaureate program. These courses also have a prerequisite of a passing grade in a college-level introduction to chemistry course.) - 2 courses (science-major level)
General Biology with lab (Must include cellular biology and genetics.) - 1 course (science-major level)
College Algebra - 1 course (or placement exam)
Bastyr accepts graduate and undergraduate transfer credits earned at accredited colleges and universities. Learn what you need to make this process go smoothly.
A career in naturopathic medicine offers a life’s work helping people thrive.
- Naturopathic doctor working as a primary natural care physician in private practice or in an integrative medicine clinic
- Research in natural medicine
- Naturopathic consultant/advocate in industry, insurance or the political arena
- Wellness entrepreneur
- Natural medicine spokesperson/advisor
- Rural community doctor
- Dietary supplement entrepreneur or natural products specialist
- Corporate wellness educator
- Public health administrator
- Natural medicine author/public speaker
- Faculty member in a naturopathic or conventional medical institution
About the Seattle, Washington Campus
The 51-acre Bastyr University campus is uniquely suited for the study of natural health sciences. Nestled among woodlands on the northeast shore of Lake Washington, the 186,000-square-foot campus complex is located 10 miles northeast of Seattle in Kenmore, Washington.