Quick Facts About the Major in Culinary Arts
Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nutrition and Culinary Arts
- Completion of the equivalent of two years of college course work
- 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Grade of C or better in all basic proficiency and science requirement courses
- 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits), including a minimum number of credits in the basic proficiency, science and general education categories
Length of Program
2 years, full time
- Therapeutic chef
- Nutrition consultant
- Cafeteria or sous chef
- Private chef
- Food and health writer
- Cookbook author
- Health promotion consultant
- Product developer in the food industry
- Recipe and menu developer for public organizations or private companies
Program Summary - BSNCA
The nutrition and culinary arts degree program fuses Bastyr University's comprehensive training program in nutrition science with the culinary arts. In this program, you’ll receive an education founded in whole food nutrition and food science while also developing culinary skills and the ability to use food therapeutically.
The degree program is designed to appeal to the hands, head and heart of each student. The curriculum provides you with an in-depth knowledge of food, nutrients, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and research analysis. This foundation in science is complemented by coursework that leads to a mastery of culinary skills. Classes in areas such as menu design and therapeutic cooking will spark and feed your creativity, giving you an opportunity to use your senses and intuition under the guidance of experienced faculty.
Advantages of Bastyr's Degree Program
- Therapeutic Approach – Our culinary arts program is one of few in the world that teaches the healing aspects of food – and it is the only one to award a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Diverse Classes – With courses such as Writing for Food and Health, Cooking Demonstration (a practicum), Ecological Aspects of Nutrition and the Business of Cooking, Bastyr's "hands-on" curriculum prepares you for a diversity of careers.
- Farm-to-Table Experience – Also offered as an elective is the Quillisascut Farm School course, an exclusive week-long farm-to-table experience at a partner farm in western Washington.
- Modern Learning Spaces – Bastyr is home to a modern and fully equipped Develop your skills in our fully equipped whole-food nutrition kitchen, along with herbal and culinary gardens and herbal medicine labs...
- Passionate Faculty – The Department of Nutrition and Exercise Science faculty draw from a wide base of knowledge and expertise as registered dietitians, nutritionists, medical practitioners, and established chefs and cookbook authors.
Learn about career opportunities and see examples of how graduates use their nutrition degrees.
Prerequisites for Nutrition & Culinary Arts Bachelor's Degree Program
Entering undergraduates must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 with a grade of C or higher in all basic proficiency and science requirement courses. Exceptional applicants who do not meet these requirements will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Before enrolling, students must have completed 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits), including a minimum number of credits in the basic proficiency, science and general education categories. Surplus credits not used to satisfy basic proficiency or science requirements may be applied to the appropriate general education requirements.
Note: You may apply to the program while completing prerequisite coursework.
Basic Proficiency and Science Requirements
|English Literature or Composition||9 quarter credits|
|General Psychology||3 quarter credits|
|Public Speaking||3 quarter credits|
|College Algebra or Statistics||4 quarter credits|
|General Chemistry I (survey level with lab)||4 quarter credits|
|General Cell Biology (science-major level with lab)||4 quarter credits|
|Introductory Nutrition||5 quarter credits|
General Education Requirements
|Natural Sciences||12 quarter credits|
|Arts and Humanities||15 quarter credits|
|Social Sciences||15 quarter credits|
|Electives||16 quarter credits The number of elective credits may vary depending upon the exact number of quarter credits earned in the other prerequisite categories. Total prerequisite credits must equal at least 90 quarter credits.|
Want to know which classes fulfill these prerequisites? Check these lists:
Curriculum: Bachelor's in Nutrition & Culinary Arts
This table lists the tentative schedule of courses for each quarter. Also included: the number of credits per course (Credits), lecture hours each week (Lec.) and lab/clinic hours each week (L/C). Course descriptions are available in the Course Catalog.
Expected Learning Outcomes
The Department of Nutrition and Exercise Science has established the following expected learning outcomes for all its Bachelor of Science programs:
- Biological/Medical Sciences
- Quantitative and Qualitative Reasoning
- Critical Thinking Skills
- General Health and Wellness
- Nutrition, Whole Foods and Exercise Science
- Promotion of the University's and the Department's mission and vision
Tuition for Bachelor's Degrees
Average first-year costs for a typical credit load in the 2016-2017 academic year. The first year is considered fall, winter and spring quarters.
Tuition & FeesFees include a $25 quarterly student activity fee. See the University catalog for a full schedule of fees.
Books & Supplies
TotalThe budget used to determine financial-aid eligibility allows for an additional $21,600 for a 9-month period of living expenses.
|Bachelor of Science (All Majors)||45||$24,684||$2,250||$26,934|
See also Financial Aid at Bastyr
PLEASE NOTE: For financial aid purposes, cost of attendance includes costs above, plus $21,600 per nine months to cover room & board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. Books and Supplies are calculated using a formula not actual.
Request Information and Get Updates
Complete this form to do any of the following:
- Request printed information on one of our degree programs
- Sign up to receive our newsletters
If you have already requested materials, or want to proceed directly to the application, you can create an application account here.