Eric Yarnell is an adjunct professor in the School of Naturopathic Medicine. Dr. Yarnell believes that learning to be a doctor involves practicing to be a doctor. He uses a flipped classroom to provide in-person case reviews and leaves students to review written or video lecture materials on their own to help them through these exercises.
Dr. Yarnell graduated from Bastyr University in 1996 and has been in practice ever since. He is former chair of botanical medicine at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine (now Sonoran University of Health Sciences) and was a full professor at Bastyr University when he switched to adjunct teaching to pursue entrepreneurial and research efforts. He is president of Heron Botanicals, chief science officer and co-founder of Red Rot Pharmaceuticals, and chief creativity officer at Wild Brilliance Press. He practices part time at Health moves in Woodinville, WA and Hill Park Integrative Medical Center in Sebastopol, CA.
Awards & Honours
- Vis Award, American Association of Naturopathic Medicine, 2014
- Faculty of the Year Awards, Naturopathic Medical Student Association, 2018 and 2020
- Borborygmous Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of Naturopathic Medicine, Gastroenterology Association of Naturopathic Medicine, 2020
- American Association of Naturopathic Medicine
- Washington Association of Naturopathic Medicine
- American Herbalists Guild
- NDs for Vaccines
- American Botanical Council
Dr. Yarnell is very interested in the ability of herbs to help prevent and treat diseases of the urinary tract and kidneys. He is particularly interested in understanding the synergy between the many constituents found in whole herbs compared to isolated constituents.
- Botanical medicine
- Clinical trials
- Paul Saunders, Iva Lloyd, Eric Yarnell “Herbal Medicine” in Naturopathy: Practice, Effectiveness, Economics and Safety, ed. Iva Lloyd, Amie Steel, John Wardle J (Toronto: World Naturopathic Federation, 2021).
- Eric Yarnell, Natural Approach to Urology 2nd ed (Wenatchee, WA: Wild Brilliance Press, 2017)
- Eric Yarnell, Natural Approach to Gastroenterology 2nd ed (Wenatchee, WA: Healing Mountain Publishing, 2011).
- Eric Yarnell, Alan Touwaide (2019) “Accuracy of Dioscorides, De materia medica (1st Century C.E.), regarding diuretic activity of plants” J Altern Complement Med 25, no 1 (2019): 107-120.