International Students

Bastyr University is proud to welcome international students from many countries each year.

Get Started at Bastyr

International Students are welcome to apply to the Seattle and San Diego campuses. 

International students must enroll as full-time, degree-seeking students. To be eligible for enrollment at Bastyr University, all international student applicants must submit: 

  • An application 
  • Application fee 
  • Documentation of sufficient funds 
  • An official evaluation of your transcripts, sent directly from a foreign credential evaluation service 
  • A current photograph 
  • A copy of your passport 

A non-immigrant student and his/her spouse/children may be admitted into the United States in the F-1 classification during their course of full-time study. This does not include those applicants who hold dual citizenship, are lawful permanent residents (or have received confirmation from the U.S. Custom and Immigration Service [USCIS] of an adjustment of status to Lawful Permanent Resident), have a valid business visa, or, if by blood percentage, are 50 percent or more North American Indian. However, Bastyr University requires official documentation of such status. 

Students with current F-1 visas transferring to Bastyr University must forward a copy of their current I-20. Contact an admissions advisor for more information.

Proficiency in the English language in one of the following ways: 

  • Official TOEFL exam results on the internet based test (iBT) with a score of 92, with a minimum speaking exam score of 26, a minimum reading exam score of 20, a minimum writing exam score of 24 and minimum listening exam score of 22; or IELTS exam score of level 6 (or 6.5 for AEAM applicants); or PTE Academic -Pearson exam results with a minimum speaking exam score of 71, a minimum reading exam score of 53, a minimum writing exam score of 62 and a minimum listening exam score of 59. 
  • Two quarters or semesters of enrollment in liberal arts courses taught in English, totaling at least 15 quarter credits (10 semester credits) of college transferrable credits (not including vocational coursework or English as a second language courses), completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian school, with GPA of 3.0 or greater (no single course less than a C- grade or 1.7 on a 4.00 scale). Please note that the Admissions committee reserves the right to request further English proficiency documentation or the TOEFL results if desired. 
  • AEAM applicants must have completed a two-year (60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits) baccalaureate-level education in an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or from an equivalent English language institution in another country. In order to demonstrate English language proficiency, AEAM applicants must score at level 6.5 of higher on their IELTS. 

Official transcripts and diplomas from any college or university outside of the United States must be translated and evaluated, course by course, by an independent evaluation service. The service will issue a report equating foreign academic credentials to U.S. degrees, grades, credits, and GPA. The service will forward the report to Bastyr University at the applicant's request. There is a charge for this evaluation, which varies depending on which evaluation service is used. 

The evaluation report must be issued by a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) accredited evaluation service. Please visit the NACES website for a list of accredited members. Below is a list of NACES accredited services that are commonly used by students. 

For international students applying to the MSN-DPD program or the Dietetic Internship, the services of a foreign degree evaluation agency will be required to validate your academic degree as equivalent to the bachelor's or master's degree conferred by a U.S. regionally-accredited college or university. The summary section of the evaluation report MUST state "From a regionally accredited institution."


International students are not eligible for U.S. federal or state-funded student aid programs but may obtain private loans with a U.S. citizen or resident as a co-signer. Canadian students also have access to the Canadian federal student loan program and most provincial loans. 

Documentation of sufficient funding is required for F-1 students because off-campus employment is prohibited by the USCIS during the first year of study. International students are limited to no more than 20 hours a week of on-campus employment while school is in session and may work full-time during vacation periods, as long as they have maintained status and intend to register for the following term. 

Bastyr University has a very limited amount of international student employment money available and should not be considered a significant source of income.