Bastyr University seeks a seasoned professional to serve as the Associate Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (AVP DEI) to provide vision, leadership, coordination and strategic planning for the design and implementation of university-wide initiatives to promote diversity, equity and inclusion among students, faculty and staff. This is an inaugural position that will develop and implement Bastyr’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs. The position acts as a resource for all Bastyr University sites and clinics and is based on our Kenmore, WA campus. This position reports directly to the President.
Bastyr University, located near Seattle, Washington, is a regionally accredited, multi-disciplinary institution for higher education and research in the natural health sciences. Founded as a naturopathic medical school in 1978, enrollment now reaches 1200 students in a broad range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs in the natural health and applied behavioral sciences. Bastyr University–California (BUC), including the BUC Clinic, located in San Diego, California was successfully opened in the Fall of 2012. The Bastyr Center for Natural Health is located in Seattle, Washington. In all locations, Bastyr University enjoys close proximity to breathtaking marine and mountain environments, an abundance of cultural, educational and recreational opportunities.
1. Develops and implements strategic plan to support Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives at Bastyr University.
2. In collaboration with the President’s Cabinet, President’s Executive Leadership team, department chairs/directors, and the AVP for Human Resources, provides resources mentoring and training opportunities that improve hiring, retention and on-boarding of diverse faculty and staff.
3. Provides mentoring, training and coaching to assist academic leadership, faculty and staff with building diversity, equity and inclusion into the University’s curriculum.
4. In collaboration with the President, President’s Cabinet, President’s Executive Leadership team, and department chairs, identifies and develops operating standards and practices that support the delivery of culturally-responsive clinical care.
5. In collaboration with the Enrollment Services Department, identifies marketing and recruiting strategies and programs that target the recruitment of students from diverse and underrepresented populations.
6. Develops and facilitates training programs for faculty, staff and students to promote diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the university.
7. Builds and maintains external community relationships with the purpose of promoting Bastyr’s University as a partner supporting diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
8. Stays abreast of best practices as they relate to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education.
9. When appropriate, will recommend individuals to appropriate complaint or grievance process to address specific issues or incidents.
10. Will work in collaboration with the Daniel K. Church Center for Social Justice and Diversity, including supervising the work of the Center co-directors.
• A thorough understanding of contemporary concepts and issues as they relate to diversity, equity inclusion, multiculturalism and social justice.
• An understanding of the culture of higher education and shared governance.
• An understanding of the elements and dynamics of organizational change.
• Demonstrated success creating win / win outcomes.
• Success at initiating and engaging in difficult conversations.
• Ability to provide results-oriented leadership.
• Collaborative style.
Skills and Abilities:
• Microsoft Office 2013 including Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills.
• Demonstrated strong presentation and training skills.
• Five (5) years of experience in a diversity equity and inclusion role or relevant experience.
• Highly skilled written and oral communications including the ability to provide presentations, successful trainings and written communications.
• Demonstrated success in developing and facilitating educational and training programs for diverse populations.
• Program development.
• Higher Education experience
• A Master’s degree or equivalent experience
The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the organization or business unit. Occasional travel as required.
Salary DOE + comprehensive benefits package, including Health, Dental & Vision, 403(b) plans, Section 125 plans and generous paid time-off.
Please refer to job #18-052 and position title when applying and send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until filled.