Recipe: Tuscan White Bean Kale Soup
The best Tuscan White Bean Kale Soup recipe with winter squash, leeks, lacinato kale and creamy cannellini beans. Super easy to make, without meat, 100% vegan, and gluten-free!
Prep Time 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary - chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 acorn squash, diced
- 6 cups veggie stock (low-sodium)
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans (drained, or 2 cups homemade cooked beans)
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale (about 3 packed cups), de-stemmed and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- lemon wedges for serving
- In a heavy-bottom stock pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and onions. Saute for a few minutes until translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Add the acorn squash and stir well. Add vegetable stock and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until the squash is cooked and fork tender. Add the cooked beans, salt and pepper.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Transfer two cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Add the puree back into the soup pot and mix to combine.
- Add chopped kale and mix until lightly wilted.
- Serve hot with a pinch of red pepper flakes and lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe adapted from Florentina at veggiesociety.com, by Fernanda Larson, MS, CN. 2019.