New families across the U.S. and the globe are looking for the emotional, informational, and evidence-based support that only a postpartum doula can provide. Upon completion of this program, you will feel empowered to start supporting families, as you will have in-depth knowledge of breastfeeding, bottle feeding, newborn care, perinatal mental health, and more.
2 week and 5 week formats
Course required for DONA International Postpartum Doula Certification
About the Course
The "fourth trimester," the first twelve weeks following birth, is often the most challenging and overlooked period in the transition to parenthood. Many new families in our society lack the continuity of care they need following the birth of their baby.
As a postpartum doula, you’ll help meet this need by educating, nurturing, and empowering families toward confidence in their new roles. Doulas may support with newborn, new parent and sibling care, lactation, emotional support and household organization. They also provide referrals to community and professional resources as needed.
The Simkin Center Postpartum Doula Training curriculum includes:
- The role of the doula in supporting lactation
- Bottle feeding safety and techniques
- Nurturing families with more than one infant
- New parent care
- Comfort and care of newborns
- Listening and communication skills
- Integrating the birth experience
- The emotional transition of the new family
- Ethical conduct of postpartum doulas
- Newborn sleep
- Business aspects of a doula practice
- Prenatal contact
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Case scenarios - the doula's role
- Community resources
There is no required reading for this training.
- Cancellation requests made at least 30 calendar days before the first day of the workshop are eligible for a full refund, minus a $150 processing fee.
- Cancellation requests made less than 30 calendar days before the start of the class are not eligible for a refund.
- Transfer requests must be made at least 30 calendar days before the first day of the workshop and will incur a $100 processing fee.
- Attendance for 100% of the live course sessions (in-person or remote) is required.
- No refunds are provided for no shows or missed portions of the course.
- To obtain your certificate of completion, it is necessary for you to attend all sessions and successfully complete all assignments.
- It may be possible to make-up missed sessions of the course with approval from the instructor and the Simkin Center Director, please note this option is not guaranteed.
- Some sessions will require make-up attendance during a future Postpartum Doula Skills Workshop, please note that a $100 processing fee, plus $100 per makeup session will apply.
- Make-up sessions must be completed within 9 months of your initial workshop.
- If you have missed any sessions and need to explore your options for make-up, please contact us. We will be glad to assist you.
To be eligible for a refund or transfer, you must submit your request in writing via email, [email protected], even if you initiate the process via Catalog.
The Simkin Center reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or circumstances beyond our control.
If you have any questions about our registration policies, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] or give us a call at (425) 602-3378.