There are many ways to turn your passion for cooking and nutrition into a meaningful, successful profession. As a student in Bastyr’s Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Culinary Arts program, you’ll learn whole-food nutrition and food science. In addition, you’ll develop the culinary skills you need to create meals that are superior in both taste and therapeutic nourishment and contain plant-forward ingredients.
2 years, full time
$661/credit hour (average)
Small Class Sizes
Bachelor’s Completion Degree Program
Learn Nutrition Principles and Cooking Skills
Farm to Table Experience
This exciting elective is an exclusive, weeklong farm-to-table experience at a partner farm in Western Washington.
Planning for Graduate School?
There is a custom track option for our culinary arts program that will set you up for success in applying for one of our graduate school options. Our graduate programs would allow you to be licensed as a nutrition specialist and work in clinical care, research, education, and more. Please reach out to Admissions if this is something you're interested in, as it might alter your pre-requisite requirements slightly. Students also attend graduate degree programs beyond Bastyr in areas such as food science, food systems, and food law and policy agroecology.
MS, RDN, CD
Kory teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in clinical nutrition assessment and therapy, therapeutic culinary nutrition, food writing, and public health nutrition at Bastyr University…
To be admitted to the nutrition program at Bastyr University, transfer students must meet the following criteria:
- Complete 90 quarter (60 semester) credits from a regionally accredited college or university or its equivalent (only courses with a grade of C or higher are transferable).
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and prerequisite GPA of 2.0.
- Complete the general education and major-based prerequisite courses.
Undergraduate transfer students who complete one of the following transfer degrees will satisfy the general education requirements:
- Associate of Arts (AA)
- Associate of Science (AS)
- Direct Transfer Associate (DTA) [WA state]
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) [CA state]
- California State University Breadth [CA state]
- Associate Degree for Transfer [CA state]
Note: Technical degrees, such as Applied Science degrees, will not automatically satisfy the general education requirements. They will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis.
Major-Based Prerequisite Courses
- General Cell Biology w/lab (for science majors) - 1 course
- Survey of Chemistry w/lab* - 1 course
- College Algebra or Statistics - 1 course
- Introductory Nutrition - 1 course
*Students wishing to pursue graduate studies in Nutrition are encouraged to take two courses of General Chemistry w/lab for science majors instead of Survey of Chemistry w/lab.
General Education Requirements
To see examples of general education courses, please see General Admissions for Undergraduate students.
- Arts and Humanities - 5 courses
- English Literature and Composition - 2 courses
- Other Courses - 3 courses
- Social and Behavioral Sciences - 5 courses
- General Psychology - 1 course
- Public Speaking - 1 course
- Other Courses - 3 courses
- Natural Science and Mathematics - 5 courses
- Major-Based Prerequisite Courses (see list) - 3 courses
- Other Courses - 2 course
- General Electives - 3 courses or more
TOTAL: 90 quarter/60 semester credits
Bastyr accepts graduate and undergraduate transfer credits earned at accredited colleges and universities. Learn what you need to make this process go smoothly.
- Therapeutic chef
- Nutrition consultant
- Cafeteria or sous chef
- Private chef
- Food and health writer
- Cookbook author
- Health promotion consultant
- Product developer in the food industry
- Recipe and menu developer for public organizations or private companies
About the Seattle, Washington Campus
The 51-acre Bastyr University campus is uniquely suited for the study of natural health sciences. Nestled among woodlands on the northeast shore of Lake Washington, the 186,000-square-foot campus complex is located 10 miles northeast of Seattle in Kenmore, Washington.